Friday, February 1, 2008

Marinara Sauce

I recently checked out an America's Test Kitchen cookbook from the library. I liked it so much that I had to buy a copy for myself.

America's Test Kitchen seems to have a very simple mission - to make basic foods that taste really good. It gives product reviews telling you which brands of store-bought foods are the best to use, and what brands equipment are the best. I decided to start incorporating their tips into my own cooking. My first attempt was the marinara sauce. I decided to pull out all the stops and use all their recommended ingredients - including mincing my own whole garlic cloves instead of the jarred stuff and using their recommended brand of canned tomato. The results were great. I'd make this recipe again any time.



Marinara Sauce
From: The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook

3 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes (Muir Glen Organic)
1 (14.5-oz) can tomato sauce (Muir Glen Organic)
3 TBSP minced fresh basil
1/4 tsp sugar
salt

Cook the oil and garlic in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring often until fragrant, but not browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook about 15-20 minutes.

Stir in the basil and sugar. Season with salt to taste.


1 comment:

Sweet Sam said...

Ooh, I've been looking for a good marinara sauce recipe and this one looks nice and simple; and if it's from America's Test Kitchen it has to be good! Thanks!