Monday, September 15, 2008

Chimichangas

I know I'm not the only one who randomly craves Mexican. Sometimes I just want a chimichanga. I've heard rumor that chimichangas are a Tex-Mex creation, but I'm skeptical. I had the best chimichanga ever at a little seaside cafe in Barra de Navidad, Mexico 13-ish years ago. I still have dreams about it. That chimichanga is the inspiration for this recipe.



Chicken Chimichangas
Serves 2
Prep Time - 20 minutes
Cook time - 15 minutes

INGREDIENTS
2 burrito-size tortillas

2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
Pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
Paprika
cumin
Chili powder
Cayenne Pepper
salt
1/2 red onion
1 green bell pepper
Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
oil, for frying
Spicy Tomatillo Gravy, recipe follows

DIRECTIONS
Brown chicken over medium heat. Season with any combination of the above-listed spices. I thought my combination gave it a nice smokey Mexican-ish flavor. Set aside.

While chicken is browning, cut the onion and green pepper into thin strips. Cook them in 1 TBSP oil for a few minutes. Add a bit of salt & pepper while sauteeing. When done, they should still be nice and crispy.

To assemble, place a bit of Monterrey Jack in the middle of a tortilla. Place 1/2 of the chicken mixture on top of that, and finish with the onion/green pepper mixture. Fold up like a burrito by tucking in the "short" ends and then securing the "long" ends with toothpicks.

Meanwhile, heat about 1" of oil in a deep pan over medium-high heat. Once at desired temperature (on my stove, this was after about 4 minutes of heating), drop in the chimichangas. Cook for 2-3 minutes and flip. Cook the other side for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown.

Remove from the oil, drain excess oil, and smother with Tomatillo gravy (if desired). Garnish with your favorite toppings.


Spicy Tomatillo Gravy (optional)
3/4 cup cream
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 TBSP flour
1 tomatillo
1 jalapeno pepper
handful diced red onion
1 small can diced green chilis
salt & pepper, to taste

Mix all of the above in a food processor. Pour into saucepan and heat on low while cooking chimichangas. If sauce is too thin, bring to a low boil and add 1 TBSP flour. Once finished, use to smother the chimichangas.


3 comments:

The Good Wife said...

Oh heaven! I had Mexican too the other night. Too funny!

annie said...

I need this in my mouth right now. Right now.

Ms. Foodie said...

Oh my heavens! Yum! The hubby says that chimichangas are not native of Mexican cuisine, but have American origins. In fact, the much loved burrito started in SF by two Jewish dudes. True story.