Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The best apple pie ever

It's not quite apple season yet in Minnesota (speaking of which, when will the grocery store start stocking fresh apples?), but that didn't stop me from making my fabulous apple pie recently. I realize, after re-reading my posts, that I actually have blogged about this pie before, but I figure 1). I didn't include a picture before, and 2). it's just that good. I've also used this recipe with fresh rhubarb instead of apples with great success.

Dutch Apple Pie
recipe from my mom

Bottom Crust
1 stick melted butter
1 TBSP sugar
1 cup flour

Filling
4-5 sliced apples (sour-ish ones are better)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Top Crust
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, softened

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix bottom crust together with a fork and press into pie plate.

Mix sliced apples and cinnamon/sugar; put in pie tin with the bottom crust. When filled, it should look sort of like a dome.

Mix brown sugar, flour, & butter to a crumbly mass (do this with your hands). Top the apples with this mixture.

Bake for about 50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.

5 comments:

Kira said...

That crust looks like the PERFECT apple pie crust!

annie said...

You are my new hero! Pies are so hard!

And now I need apple pie. NEED.

Elizabeth said...

Annie, you can't screw up this pie. Seriously.

Ms. Foodie said...

Oh. I am scared to try apple pie, but it is on "my things to make" list...I'll bookmark this recipe so I can come back to it when I get some courage. Looks great!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks so comforting... and with the cooler, fall like weather we're experiencing these days, I would love a slice of this!