Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fudge

On Christmas Eve, I decided I wanted to be eating some fudge. I decided this knowing full well that I didn't have most of the ingredients for fudge. The grocery store was out - it was about the last place I wanted to be. I decided to brave Target, and if the parking lot was too scary, I'd just turn around and go back home and forget about the fudge I was so wanting to eat. 

It ended up being fine. Much less busy than I thought it would be. The amount of people there who seemed to be doing every last bit of their Christmas shopping (at about 4 pm on Christmas Eve) was a little shocking, but I guess some people don't really plan ahead.

I've made this fudge before and always have great results. I've tried other recipes and they never get quite as smooth as this one. 


Fudge
Recipe from Carnation
Total Prep & Cook Time - about 15 min

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk (2/3 cup)
2 TBSP butter
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate)
1 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS
Line an 8x8 pan with foil. Set aside.

Combine sugar, evaporated milk, butter, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly. Bring to a full rolling boil. Keep it boiling and keep stirring constantly for 4-5 minutes.

Remove from heat and add the marshmallows, chocolate chips, and vanilla. Stir until everything is melted and combined. This should take about a minute.

Pour into the pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hrs. When firm, take them out of the pan and remove foil. Cut them into small slices to serve.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I was craving fudge on Christmas Eve also but I resisted the temptation until all of the stores were closed. And then I wallowed in fudge-less self pity. This looks wonderful!