Friday, July 9, 2010

Grandma's Zucchini Bread

Zucchini bread was one of my favorites when I was a kid, and nobody made it quite like my grandma. Well, truth be told, when I was a kid there were a lot of things nobody could make quite like my grandma could. This is my take on her recipe. I've tried to make it just a little healthier so you don't feel quite so bad about eating it.

Zucchini Bread
Grandma Ann's recipe, adapted
Makes 2 loaves

INGREDIENTS
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
1/3 cup water
4 eggs
2 1/2 - 3 cups grated zucchini
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce*

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, mix together the flours, salt, sugar, soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, beat together the canola oil, water, eggs, and lemon juice. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until combined. Add zucchini and applesauce and stir until combined.

Pour into pre-greased loaf pans and bake for 1 hr, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

*If you want, you can eliminate some of the oil by swapping out an equal amount of oil for apple sauce. So, for example, if you only add 1/2 cup of oil, add 1/2 cup more of the applesauce, for a total of 3/4 cup.

3 comments:

annie said...

I LOVE zucchini bread. I'll have to try this!

Joanne said...

Zucchini bread is one of my favorite quickbreads! I love how you healthified it up!

Simply Life said...

oh that bread looks great!