Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

I love trying new recipes. There's something oddly satisfying when you find that recipe that makes you smile and nod while making yummy sounds at first bite. It's been awhile since I've made such a recipe. Then, tonight came.

I've made versions of Chicken with 40 Cloves in the past, but all involved copious amounts of cream. Then, one day I found a version on CookingLight that called for absolutely no cream and about 5 ingredients. Don't get me wrong: the creamy versions are great. But sometimes you're just not in the mood for that, right? Ok, I know that most of the time you are. But every once in a while, you're not. Don't try to kid me. I know how you feel. That's where this recipe comes in. You must try it. Seriously. Go out, buy the ingredients, and make it tonight. It's delicious.

Don't be scared by the amount of garlic. The strength mellows while it cooks and they're delicious with the chicken or spread out on some nice crusty french bread.


Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
Inspired by CookingLight,
Serves 4

Cook Time - 40 minutes


INGREDIENTS
1 whole chicken, already butchered
1 TBSP butter
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
40 whole garlic cloves, peeled (about 2-3 heads)
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine


DIRECTIONS
Combine butter and oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Tear the skin off the chicken. Season evenly with salt & pepper. Add chicken pieces to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove chicken from pan to keep warm. Feel free to do the chicken in two batches if you need to.

Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and cook until garlic begins to brown, about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Put chicken back in the pan. Add broth and wine. Cover and cook 25 minutes or until chicken is done.

Remove chicken from pan to keep warm. Increase heat to medium-high and cook 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup. If you want a thicker sauce, thicken by whisking in a cornstarch/water slurry. Serve sauce and garlic with chicken and crusty bread.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Sounds good! I've heard of the 40 clove garlic chicken before, maybe I'll have to try it out sometime!

annie said...

This actually sounds really good. Yay!

Jane O' said...

I've had Chicken and 40 Cloves at a relative's house but never made it myself. This looks easy, I think I'll try it real soon.