Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"Alfredo"

I believe I've mentioned before that I love Alfredo sauce. My husband isn't what I'd call a fan. He's a good sport, though. He eats it when I make it because he knows I love it. I make him garlic bread to make amends. Tonight, in a sincere effort to clean out the cupboards, I made this recipe for Fetuccini Alfredo that I found tucked away in my "to-try" folder.

I'm not sure I would really classify this as Fetuccini Alfredo because the sauce was a bit too thick and a bit too tangy, but it was good, and definitely something I'd make again when I want something Alfredo-ish without all the fat and calories.



Fetuccini Alfredo
Recipe from Kraft, adapted
Serves 4
Cook Time - 15 min


INGREDIENTS
1/2 lb. fettuccine, uncooked (I used cavatappi)
1 TBSP flour
1-1/4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
4 oz. cream cheese, cubed
~3 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. pepper

DIRECTIONS
Cook pasta to al dente. Drain.

Meanwhile, heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Mix broth and flour in same skillet and whisk together. Add cream cheese, 2 Tbsp. of the Parmesan cheese, the garlic and pepper and whisk until smooth; cook 2 min., stirring constantly. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit more stock or some half & half.

Add pasta and toss to coat. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Alfredo is one of my fave pasta sauces... you can turn down all that creamy cheesy goodness?!

annie said...

This looks REALLY good, actually. I think I need to try it!

Ms. Foodie said...

I made a variation of your recipe tonight! (I say variation only b/c I didn't have all the ingredients...). Thank you!!!