Saturday, June 6, 2009

Rhubarb Pie

With this post, I'd like to introduce what I hope to be a new segment on this blog called "Stuff I Made with Stuff I Grew in my Backyard." Yep, that's right - I have a garden this year. I'm very excited. My first creation from my homegrown goods was a rhubarb pie.

I grew up eating rhubarb and I love it. When baked, it's somewhat similar in taste to an apple, but softer and more tart. It pairs well with berries, but I prefer it on its own. It's very easy to work with, too. When picked out of the garden, it should look like this:


Don't be alarmed... your pile should be that size. Trim off the leaves. Don't be alarmed if some of your apparently mature rhubarb stalks are more green than red - they taste the same as the deep pink ones, they just aren't as pretty. Don't eat the leafy greens. Be sure to wash the stalks well. When you're all done with that, they should look like this:


Isn't that better? Cut them up into little pieces like you would chop up celery.

For this pie, I used my regular apple pie recipe, but used rhubarb instead of apples and coated them in a bit more cinnamon & sugar than normal. The result is an amazing pie.


You must try it right away.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Congrats on having your own garden! My dad is planting a few things this year but we don't have that much room fora full-on garden (one of the downsides of living in NYC). This rhubarb pie looks great. I need to get some rhubarb before the season is over!

test it comm said...

I have been enjoying the rhubarb lately. This pie looks really good!

annie said...

This looks amazing! I've never had rhubarb, but this pie looks like it would be a great start. I will stop overlooking it at the farmer's market.

P.S. I am really jealous of your garden!