Monday, February 4, 2008

Enchilada Time

This recipe is probably the very first recipe I ever made up. In law school, my roommate and I were at the grocery store one day and very hungry for Mexican food. Unfortunately, neither of us could cook very well, so we were stuck strolling through the quasi-pre-packaged meals, and stumbled upon an enchilada kit. It was tasty, but seemed like I could make them up better and cheaper. So, in a sincere procrastination effort, I started experimenting. Foodies might scoff at this recipe, but I love it.


Chicken Enchiladas
My own creation
*Makes 5-6 Enchiladas

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips (I've also used leftover Rotisserie chicken, even ground beef)
~1/2 jar queso dip (you can make your own, but I like the texture of Tostitos brand best)
~1/3 - 1/2 jar chunky salsa
Enchilada size tortillas (I like "Mission" brand)
Shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook 2 chicken breasts (I do this on the George Foreman Grill). Cut into large cubes or strips. Transfer to a medium pan. Add approximately 1/2 jar of queso dip and 1/3 - 1/2 jar of salsa. Mix together until warm.

Grease a 9x13 pan. Fill the tortillas with the chicken/cheese filling and roll up. Do this till you're out of chicken filling. Top with any remaining cheese sauce and a few spoonfuls of salsa. Cover all with shredded cheese.

Bake approximately 15 min or until cheese is bubbly.

No comments: