Sunday, November 8, 2009

Spicy Spaghetti all'Amatriciana

Amatriciana (pronounced: mah-tree-shawna) is a very traditional Roman dish. Word is that you can find it any any osteria in the region. Despite that, I've never had it in either trip to Rome. I don't know why. I think I'm probably just too obsessed with the plain spaghetti, lasagna, and pizza to branch out too much. Call me a creature of habit.

Now, as you should all know, I love simple recipes that don't take a whole lot of time to prepare. So, when I came across this recipe on foodnetwork one day, I knew I had to try it. I took a few liberties with the recipe, and we both really liked it. I can't wait to try making it again with a few simple changes.


Spaghetti all'Amatriciana
Serves 4
Prep Time - 5-10 minutes
Cook Time - 20 minutes

INGREDIENTS
1/4 lb pancetta, cut into thin strips*
2 TBSP olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (be generous)
2 tsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 1/2 TBSP red wine vinegar
1 cup tomato puree
1/4 cup chicken stock
3/4 lb spaghetti
freshly grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS
Cook pasta to al dente. Drain & set aside.

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add oil, and cook the pancetta until the fat begins to render out. Do not let it get crispy. Add onions & garlic and cook until the onions become translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add red pepper flakes and parsley and stir.

Add the vinegar and let cook until it evaporates, about 2 minutes.

Add tomato puree and stock. Reduce heat to a simmer.

Add pasta to the saucepan and toss to coat. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes, or until the pasta absorbs a bit of the sauce. Serve with lots of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

*Given the relatively high cost of pancetta around here, I'm going to try to make this recipe without it next time. I think it added something to the sauce, but I'm not sure it adds enough to outweigh the expense.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

When I was in Italy, all I ate was focaccia. I think there may have been a plate of pasta in there somewhere and some pizza. But really all I can remember is the focaccia.

I have made something similar to this before with bacon instead of pancetta. What a great and simple dish!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Looks easy but delicious. Great for a busy day! Thanks for sharing.