Friday, December 18, 2009

Chicken in White Wine Sauce

About three weeks ago, I decided I wanted to make some sort of chicken in a wine sauce. When I decided that, I was thinking I was going to make something like the Coq au Vin I made months ago and loved. Apparently I wasn't really feeling it because it stayed on my menu planning list for almost three weeks. Then, tonight, I got inspired and ended up creating something completely different, but very delicious. We both loved this - it managed to be both light and hearty at the same time and bursting with flavor.


Chicken in White Wine Sauce
Serves 2
Prep Time - 10 minutes
Cook Time - 20 minutes

INGREDIENTS
4 oz egg noodles
4 chicken legs
flour, seasoned with salt & pepper, for dredging
1 TBSP butter
1 TBSP olive oil
1 shallot, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4-ish cup white wine
3/4-ish cup chicken stock
1/2-ish cup whole milk (or other dairy liquid)
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp dried chives

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat oil & butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge chicken legs in seasoned flour. Add to pan and brown on all sides. Transfer to cookie sheet and continue cooking in the oven until the sauce is done.

Meanwhile, cook egg noodles to al dente (to have them done around the same time as the sauce, drop them after you put the chicken in the oven).

If your pan is dry, add more olive oil. Add shallots & garlic and cook until the shallots begin to soften.

Add wine to de-glaze the pan and let cook until the alcohol has burned off and liquid has reduced by at least half. Add stock, parsley, & chives, and cook for about 5 minutes.

Add milk (I used some leftover whole milk, but I think any dairy you have on hand would do the same thing) and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Season with salt & pepper to taste. If the sauce doesn't get as thick as you'd like, feel free to thicken it with a cornstarch & water slurry.

Spoon the sauce over the egg noodles and chicken. Top with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

Delicious! I love the flavor of white wine mixed with a little bit of chicken. I'm glad you finally made it and shared it!

Karine said...

Great way to cook with chicken! Thanks for sharing :)

Cynthia said...

Happy Holidays!

Chef Aimee said...

I love that this is so quick and still works with wine! :)