Wednesday, May 20, 2009

New Coq au Vin

I've had traditional Coq au Vin in restaurants, but never made it at home. I'd thought about it many times, but never really was interested enough to spend hours cooking it. Then, I came across this recipe for New Coq au Vin on Epicurious and knew I had to make it straight away.

In addition to finding a great new recipe, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I really like the taste of braised celery. I don't really like celery, but when braised in this recipe, it took on a completely different flavor. It was delicious, and very easy. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to take a picture, so you're going to have to use your imagination.

New Coq au Vin
Recipe adapted from Epicurious
Serves 3-4
Prep & Cook Time - about an hour


INGREDIENTS
6 chicken legs & thighs with skin and bone
2 tablespoons olive oil
10 garlic cloves, halved
3 celery ribs, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
1 shallot or small onion, diced finely
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup water
handful finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

DIRECTIONS
Season chicken with salt & pepper. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Sear chicken until the skin is golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes, then transfer to a plate.

Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from skillet. Cook garlic, shallot or onion and celery in skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden and just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add wine and boil, uncovered, until reduced by about half, 3 to 5 minutes. Add water and bring to a simmer.

Return chicken to the skillet and simmer, partially covered, until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.

4 comments:

jenn said...

I've never had braised celery before either. I like it raw, but that sounds yummy

And it seems a little less daunting than you would think

Thanks for the recipe!

Jenn@slim-shoppin.com

Sara said...

This sounds great! It looks a lot simpler than some of the other coq au vin recipes I've tried.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Such a classic dish - yum!

Joanne said...

I am not a celery fan, either - it has such a dominant flavor - but if you say braised celery is different then I will have to believe. I really like that this uses white instead of red wine, I'm more inclined to drink the leftovers then!