Monday, January 5, 2009

Braised Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes

I'm always searching for new ways to make potatoes, and when I saw this recipe on FoodNetwork, I knew I had to make it straight away. On Saturday, I decided to make steaks for dinner, and knew these potatoes would be the perfect accompaniment.

I could go on and on about how great my steak was (and believe me, it was), but I won't. Instead, I'm going to tell you that you need to make these potatoes.


Yukon Gold Potatoes - Jacques Pepin Style
Recipe by Jacques Pepin, via FoodNetwork
Serves 2-3

Prep Time - 5 min

Cook Time - 20 min


INGREDIENTS
1 lb baby Yukon Gold Potatoes
salt & freshly ground pepper
1 cup chicken stock (not broth)
1-2 TBSP butter

DIRECTIONS
Place the potatoes in a skillet (roughly to fit all the potatoes) and season them with salt & pepper. Add chicken stock to the pan, until chicken stock is about 1/2 the way up the potatoes. Add the butter. Cover the skillet and cook on medium to medium-high heat until they are almost tender, about 8 minutes.

Remove the lid and allow the stock to evaporate, about another 5 minutes. Once the stock has evaporated, press down on each potato with a ladle or large spoon, creating a small crack in each. Do not mash. Cook for a couple of minutes, and then flip. Allow them to brown on both sides, about another 5 minutes. Re-season with salt & pepper if necessary.

Serve with sour cream, preferably with sour cream with chives, to dip.

3 comments:

Kristina R. said...

This looks like a great potato recipe. Though I will be trying it with red skin potatoes (since I already have those).

~Amber~ said...

Yum, these look delicious. Thanks for sharing.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I love how easy this recipe is and yukon gold is my fave type of potato (next to sweet potatoes!)