Sunday, July 6, 2008

Caramel Rolls

I think Sunday morning is a great day for a leisurely breakfast. My favorites are a quasi-Irish breakfast and caramel rolls (not together). Don't laugh, Husband. I didn't say I'm up cooking full breakfasts often, just that I like to (see, I changed that wording for you to make it more clear). This recipe has been in my family for as long as I can remember. It makes an appearance at every holiday and family function, and we all love them... Well, I love them when no one screws them up by adding walnuts to the caramel sauce... I always feel a bit Sandra Lee-ish when making them, but I get over it quickly because they're so wonderful. I promise you'll like them. The best part (aside from the delicious flavor) is that they come together in less than 5 minutes of prep time.

Just out of the oven -
Top View

Flipped over

Caramel Rolls

Family Recipe (true source unknown)
Serves 4-8


INGREDIENTS
18 Rhodes frozen roll dough balls
1 package butterscotch cook & serve pudding (NOT INSTANT)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar

DIRECTIONS
Grease a bundt cake pan.

Place the frozen dough balls in the bottom of the pan. I like to do it so there is an inner and an outer layer when it cooks.

Sprinkle the dry pudding mix on top of the dough.

Meanwhile, melt the butter and combine it with the brown sugar. Once mixed together, pour over the top of the dough and dry pudding mix.

Place in a cold oven overnight (or about 8 hrs, if not overnight). Turn on oven to 350 and bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Don't bother to take them out to pre-heat the oven. Just turn it on and set a timer for 25 minutes and walk away. When the timer goes off, the caramel rolls should be done.

*Let them sit about 10 minutes before flipping and removing them from the bundt pan. When it's time to do so, I suggest covering the top of the pan with a plate and flipping the whole thing over as fast as you can. Make sure to keep watch for any caramel that slips out the sides.

2 comments:

test it comm said...

That looks good all covered in caramel!

Carrie said...

I made these for my husband and I this past weekend, they were WONDERFUL thank you for sharing!