Monday, March 24, 2008

Fried Chicken

I somehow managed to sprain my big toe. Don't ask... I have no idea.

As such, tonight was the perfect night for some comfort food. Fried chicken was perfect - I had a new recipe I really wanted to try, and my husband is our master deep fryer, so I wouldn't have to be on my feet for too long. We both agreed that the coating needed to be a little thicker, but overall, this was the best fried chicken we'd ever eaten. It was crispy, juicy, flavorful, and had just the right amount of kick. We paired it with some homemade french fries.

Note - this was originally a wing recipe, which we adapted slightly, in cooking time only, for fried chicken.

Recipe from www.foodnetwork.com

Pat’s Spicy Fried Chicken (Wings)
Recipe from Gina & Pat Neely

Rub:
1 tablespoon seasoning salt
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon lemon-pepper

Batter:

2 eggs
2 tablespoons hot sauce
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

6 whole chicken wings, cut in 1/2 at the joint (or chicken legs)
2 cups flour

DIRECTIONS:

In a small bowl whisk together seasoning salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, cayenne pepper, poultry seasoning, and lemon pepper. Reserve any remaining rub.

Rinse chicken in cold water and place into a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with the seasoning and lightly rub in, and let them marinate, covered and chilled, for 1 hour.

Whisk eggs, hot sauce, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and cayenne pepper into a medium size mixing bowl. Reserve. Put the flour into a shallow dish or pie plate.

In a large deep-fryer or large Dutch oven heat oil to 350 degrees F on a deep-fat thermometer.

Dredge chicken into the egg mixture then into the flour. Place chicken into the hot oil and cook for 13-14 minutes (8-10 for wings), turning occasionally, until cooked through and golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined sheet tray. Make sure oil returns to temperature before adding the next batch. Sprinkle the chicken with the reserved seasoning while piping hot.

4 comments:

Jaime said...

I'm not a big fried chicken fan (a crime in the south), but this made my mouth water. It looks great!

Nicole said...

Oh that looks good. I haven't done fried chicken. We love wings here too.... Do you have a deep fryer? I am considering buying one but not sure which one to get.

Elizabeth said...

We do have a deep fryer. I think it's a DeLonghi (or however you spell that). I love having it for chicken & wings.

Nicole said...

Thanks Elizabeth!